Wednesday, May 21, 2008

40 Greatest Songs About Food: Part II

Ladies and gentlemen, you're just in time for the second half of CHG's 40 Greatest Songs About Food! Sit back and behold!

20) “Me in Honey” by R.E.M.
Kate Pierson is sadly absent from this live performance, but bassist Mike Mills fills in nicely.

19) “Gin and Juice” by Snoop Dogg
C’mon, Snoop – it was never hard being you.

18) “Peaches” by Presidents of the United States of America
Note: This is a band, not our actual Commander in Chief. (As you know, Dubya's biggest hit is about pretzels.)

17) “Blueberry Hill” by Louis Armstrong
Adjust your eyes – it’s Satchmo in EXTREME close up. You can see his pores!

16) “Candy” by Iggy Pop with Kate Pierson
Has Iggy Pop ever worn a shirt, ever? I could draw the man’s nipples from memory.

15) “Pulling Mussels From a Shell” by Squeeze
My second favorite Squeeze song, narrowly beating out “Nail in My Heart.”

14) “Lunch Lady Land” by Adam Sandler
Yeah, it’s not the same without Chris Farley’s original SNL choreography, but still one of Sandler’s best.

13) “Ice Cream” by Sarah McLachlan
Reader (and first commenter) nonrunner! I hear you!

12) “Rock Lobster” by B-52’s
Okay, so this is Kate Pierson’s third appearance in the Top 20. I didn’t even know I liked her that much. COVET THE BEEHIVE!

11) “Alice’s Restaurant” by Arlo Guthrie
Every Thanksgiving at noon, my family ceases turkey preparation to listen to our local classic rock station play “Alice’s Restaurant.” It’s as important to our holiday as the stuffing.

10) “Pour Some Sugar on Me” by Def Leppard
For years, I thought the lyric to this was, “You want some sugar?/Well have some more!” when it was actually, “Do you take sugar?/One lump or two?” I liked my version better.

9) “Cherry Bomb” by The Runaways
Adolescent rage at its ragiest.

8) “Lost in the Supermarket” by The Clash
“I wasn’t born so much as I fell out.” Best line ever? I say possibly.

7) “Le Poisson” from The Little Mermaid
I could only find the Broadway audio, but picture: a large, animated French chef rhapsodizing on his weakness for seafood, as a talking, calypso-happy Jamaican crustacean scurries away in terror. I’ll give you a minute.

6) “Just Like Honey” by The Jesus and Mary Chain
Get ready … get set … GAZE AT YOUR NAVEL!

5) “Milkshake” by Kelis
I’m not sure if any song has been used in more movies and TV shows. But “Mean Girls” (and wondrous Fey) employed it best.

4) “Baby’s Got Sauce” by G. Love and Special Sauce
I’m pretty sure this was the only song in rotation at my freshman year college radio station. I associate it very strongly with weak beer and young adult angst.

3) “Mayonaise” by Smashing Pumpkins
Hey! Billy Corgan had hair once.



2) “Brown Sugar” by The Rolling Stones
What a far-out tune! Call me crazy, but I think these kids are going places.



1) “Eat It” by “Weird Al” Yankovic
Like it wasn’t gonna be Weird Al. (The link is the original video. The embedded piece below is just funny.)


And that's it, dear readers. I hope you enjoyed this musical interlude, and are already preparing for next week's Wednesday article, which will most likely be about saving money on food. (Go figure.) Excelsior!

P.S. So - in the countdown, what'd I miss?

 
Design by Free Wordpress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Templates